Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Typical

Ok, so Ghana going out I could cope with. Although they had style and pezaz, they were more entertaining than good. England going out hit me somewhat harder. There was always the hope that they would start playing better and then actually score a victory that they deserved. As it happened they did start playing well but in typical England fashion one of the players metamorphed into an imbecile and got himself sent-off leaving the other 10 players to continue to outplay the other team but alas, the lack of the 11th man proved too much and then, well, penalties. With England, it's a foregone conclusion. According to my Dad, you may as well watch the players rolling a dice. According to me, if it's England you may as well just save the heartache and declare victory to the other team.
Anyway, all this is beside the point. Up until yesterday I had found it rather difficult to support Germany (see earlier blog) but since England's departure they have become my team of choice. Last night they had my full support. I guess I should have supported Italy, for the sake of the German population. Germany did an England (England of other World Cups, this one they have just been poor) - they played really well but got cruelly beaten anyway. Gutted. Now I am left to hope that France thrash Portugal, that Germany then thrash Portugal (I really don't like Portugal - bunch of Schweiber and cheaters and all those words you're not supposed to say) and then that Thierry Henry scores a stunning hat-trick in the final and maybe Gino Ginelli (hot Italian striker with complicated Italian name) scores a goal too - from now on it's all about the close-ups :-)
So come on France and come on Germany. Let's kick some Mediterranean ass!!!
Actually thinking about it, maybe I should support Portugal tonight, it's about time they had some of the luck that I seem to bring to teams I support (i.e. BAD LUCK!!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gutted........!

Have become the biggest Italian football fan in the whole wide world.
Think of the ramifications if my beloved neice and I fall out over opposing football teams.....
Will this mean that I am now out of Lucy's will??
Who will buy me a pint of Jennings when I have run out of money before the bar closes?
Who will stand as referee between myself and her mother when we argue about who was better at hockey during our school days?
Who will bring me coffee in bed, when she is supposed to be on holiday, and I am supposed to be the hostess?

Woe! Woe! And thrice Woe!

Lu said...

Biggest Italian football fan in the whole wide world? Is it Gino Ginelli that swung it for you? Or is it the drama that goes along with Italian football - court cases, accusations of large-scale cheating and the most successful teams being forced to begin next season in the bottom league?
Well, I have to say, I am still for France on Sunday. It is not often that I support France (in anything really, except mass-production and exportation of pain-au-chocolat, yummy!) but I am happy to give them my backing on Sunday.
And to address your worries. Be happy to be out of my will - at the moment it's all debt :P