Thursday, December 15, 2005

ICEUS On Tour


Just returned from a fun-filled 4 days spent with my course people. Our location was the spa town (village) of Bad Liebenzell, located somewhere in the Black Forest. Our purpose was 3 days of seminars on European Law and 1 day in Strasbourg visiting the European Court of Human Rights and the European Parliament. Our accommodation was some 16th Century (at a guess) castle with gorge views over the town as well as fairly decent grub and a v cute little pub with self-service bar, which last night hosted our mini Christmas party (imagine candles, Glühwein, homemade German Christmas biscuits and Silent Night being sung in 7 or so different languages simultaneously.) It was all jolly good fun and really informative. Amongst other things, I learnt the decision-making processes in the EU, all about international courts of law (did you know that the European Court of Human Rights is the only international court which citizens themselves can file complaints to?), the opinions of a German Green EMP, that the European Parliament is a v cool building, that the standard of interpreters in the parliament varies a great deal, that the Council of Europe is an extremely ugly building, that the tastiness of Pfammkuchen is limited to the initial impressions and that I still can't speak French or ice-skate...
I have returned to Fulda feeling invigorated and experiencing new-found motivation to read more, study more, speak more and learn more French. It is my New Year's Resolution come early. Unfortunately right now I am very tired (still suffering from sore throat and a v attractive chesty cough) and so, guess what, it starts tomorrow :-)

[photo index (from top): Alberto&Yu at the European Court of Human Rights, Ragil,Bec,Firdavs&Ramona, me&Ragil in Heidelberg, Alberto,Chryssa,Bec&Ragil in Strasbourg, Bec&Ragil at Council of Europe and mini ICEUS Christmas party]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had fun...had a comment of what happened to the party animals, aparently we have a bit of a reputation.

Well I especially liked the European Court of Human Rights, especially from the perspective of the Presidents chair....

You have pretty much outlined all that we did, and really all I can say is I stand witness, perhaps a deaf withness hearing the context, but not the entire conversations.

Its an exhausting activity...if you concentrate. That'S my excuse for being too tired to go crazy in the quaint pub opposite our tower. In which I felt like Repunzel!

Anonymous said...

Only comment that springs immediately to mind is - what on earth is Pfammkuchen? for all of us who don't speak German.....
Glad that life is treating you well at the moment. Enjoy every moment of it, you deserve it!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lu said...

Imagine a big rectangle pizza with a thin base and instead of tomato, some cream sauce and then mushrooms/ham/cheese on top of that. That is Pfannkuchen (just realised I spelt it wrong). Like I said, initially pleasant but that cream sauce comes back to haunt you...

Anonymous said...

Bet it wouldn't mix too well with a pint of Jennings.........

Anonymous said...

I found out tonight that I am going to have a little trouble getting the elephant named Victor's photo.

He is lost, apprently somewhere in a town I think called Sheffield in England.

So if Aunty Fred lives near there, I am sorry, my English geography is a bit askew, maybe...because I am usually upside down...she can check out any roller skating elephants. I am sure she will spot him immediatly.

But if you have heard of the saying or joke asking why elephants paint their toenails red?

The answer being ... to hide in strawberry patches.

Don't get it????????????

Have you ever seen an elephant in a strawberry patch? They're good aren't they. (LOL)

Well there's my point, you may not catch a glance of him even in Sheffield! Unless you know what you are looking for, hence the photo, hence the big problem.
Ok I am off to bed.

Anonymous said...

Will not be anywhere near Sheffield in the near future. However, this tricksy,roller-skating elephant who is also a bit of an apple juice tealeaf will, surely, not be difficult to miss. He also seems to get around a fair bit, so may well end up in the 'Pool before long. (After all, every other eccentric individual seems to!)

Looking on the bright side though - if the said elephant is in UK, it must be a darn sight quieter in Bec's flat....
Bec - what are you doing for Christmas? Staying in Germany? Ozz seems a long way to go home for such a short time. Anyway, have a good time.
xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Ta for thinking of me over Christmas. I am off to Voorschorten in Holland. I can't wait. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Yes my bedroom is a lot quieter now. But, I am not looking for the imminent return of the infamous Victor.

Anonymous said...

Just to let the rest of the gang know - Ruth will be seeing the famous Viktor when she and Erik are in Stockholm at New Year. Hope that she remembers to ask about the whereabouts of the missing applejuice and the possibility of roller skating lessons. Possibly Lucy would consider letting her blogsite be hijacked for on-line roller skating lessons??
If she sees any passing, stray elephants should she parcel them up and send to Germany?
Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes open for any lost looking pachyderms (?) in the Sheffield area...........
Happy Christmas, one and all.
xxxx