Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Comes This Time Each Year


Points to anyone who can name the festive tune. Well, hope everyone is full of festive cheer and that lots of fun was had yesterday. It's rather strange writing a blog from home. In fact, it's rather strange to be home. Left Fulda in a bit of a mad rush. Not really sure what has happened to the last few months, well apart from the fact that they have flown by faster than a flock of geese (had goose for lunch, got the bird on my mind...) It's all been totally mad but a whole lot of fun. Now I'm back home, trying to get my breath back. Not sure I'll manage to be honest judging by the last few days. Arrived back in York on Thursday night. Had one hour to unpack, say hello to family and cats and then Matt and Cat descended on us. Had a lovely big meal and lots of fun. Matt gave me a cracking present, 4 months in the making. A highly original version of Top Trumps based on all things English. Will enjoy educating my Fulda mates when I return! The next day it was in to town to meet my York mates for coffee and cake, then back home to have a meal with Auntie Julie, Uncle Rog and cousin Alex. They left and it was catch-up with Jules and James before heading to church for my one service of the year. As those of you who know me will know, I don't do church, or Christianity, or in fact religion in general but I tend to make an exception for the Crib Service on Christmas Eve. Imagine a village church, lit with candles, full of infants (ranging from a few months to 10yrs in age) and their parents trying to keep them under control. The vicar is more like a primary teacher than a vicar and the service is highly entertaining and always involves a good sing-song and lots of audience participation, although sadly I am now too old to join in myself... After church it was back home for more yummy food, crackers and family fun and then the traditional dictation of 'Lucy and Tom's Christmas' and 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' by Mum before bed.

Christmas day involved lots of presents (thank you!), a visit to the neighbours' house for scrummy nibbles and lots of sparkling wine with Sandra, John and their 4 little girls:-) We returned home to find the oven hadn't worked so Christmas Dinner was delayed by a few hours. The Queen kept us entertained for 10mins of the intervening period (although her stress on religious and faith groups was a little too strong for my liking), we had a walk around the village and saw several families enjoying Christmas, complete with party hats. Christmas Dinner was worth the wait and we all went to bed feeling content. Today is Boxing Day. Me and Kate drove over to Dad's where we are now. Hellos and hugs, then more presents, food, a walk, Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle (half time score) and a nice log fire. Once again feeling content and my pulse is almost back to normal. Need a few days of relaxation now to prepare for New Years in Ed and then the return trip to Fulda on the 2nd. It's all go I tell you.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely photos, Lucy. Thanks so much for posting them. Haven't actually got any news, 'cos have just spoken to you on the phone - by the time that you get this it'll be the New Year, so hope that you had a good one catching up with people from Uni etc.
Happy New Year!
Love Auntie Fred
xxx
PS Hope that Bec had an enjoyable festive thingy and that she didn't get into too much trouble without your calming influence (?) No - it's okay Bec - 'I don't believe it' either.......!

playingdrama said...

Happy wonderful new year to one and all! especially to you darl.. =) mwa mwa mwa...

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and HAPPY NEW YEAR Lucy and to the entire Lucy Robinson Families!!!!!!!

Well....looks like you had a cracker of a time, with family and close friends. Glad to see that it has had a calming effect on you.

The Swiss Alps have had their majestic wise shadows looming over me since the 27th and I feel quite content. I hope that feeling won't leave me when I leave Switzerland and return to Fulda on the 3rd. Otherwise Lucy, your "calming influence" has to come into play.

PS. I knew there was a reason why I should have stayed in the French class...I am not my talkative usual self, you know the one with the witty and clever remarks in French.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Don't worrry the about deletion was just a double up.

Peace out!

PS I went snowboarding, and I have found yet another talent I do NOT possess!

Anonymous said...

I'm back! Guess who?

Anonymous said...

Who is anonymous? And where is she back from? Did she even know that she was away when she was gone? Where did she go to, to come back from? Do you need a return ticket in that case? Where do you get it to? Just 'a return ticket back to here please'? If time is circular, rather than linear, how do you know that you've arrived there so that you can start to return?

Could wax lyrical in this vein for hours, but feel that I ought to go and do something useful!
Anyway, glad that you are back Lu even if you have become anonymous whist you've been gone! Did I ever ask where you had gone to.......

Did I ever mention that there are people that think that I've been 'gone' for years??

Lu said...

Will the real 'anonymous' please stand up, please stand up. I said, will the real 'anonymous' please stand up (and make yourself heard.)
All this anonymity is most confusing.
Btw, interesting that you use the pronoun 'she' Auntie Fred, do you maybe have inside info???
It's almost as good a mystery as the rollerskating elephant apple-juice thief...

Anonymous said...

Have no further knowledge on the identity of the roller skating, apple juice stealing elephant, but I used the pronoun 'she' (ref: anonymous who had returned from heavens knows where) because I presumed that it was you! Wasn't it? First lesson - never presume!