Sunday, December 11, 2005

mmm, vitamin c

What would December be without illness? Well, better probably. I have been struck down by the dreaded lurgy. Have spent the whole of my 3-day weekend in bed, feeling sorry for myself. I have left the flat once since thursday night - me and Ragil went for a wander around christmassy Fulda, bought a christmas pressie, ate a beef döner (unbelievably good), went to a Glühwein stall and drank warm juice (you know I am ill when I choose juice over mulled wine). Exhaustion soon set in and so we came home and I haven't left since. Anyway, just to reassure you all. Ragil has been looking after me (thankyou:-) and I'm eating lots of oranges, and healthy foods and drinking lots of liquid. Hopefully it'll pass soon,..

On to more exciting things... Ruth has kindly provided us with a photo of the key suspect in the 'apple juice mystery' (see Stormy Skies comments) and I must say, he does look like he could have it in him to be an apple juice thief... Photos of any more suspects will be warmly welcomed. Don't want to bias the case by only naming and shaming one suspect.

Other things to note before I go and lie down again: Went to Karlsruhe last weekend with Ragil and a few others to visit an Indonesia evening of culture. There was Indonesian dancing, music, as well as a film about the country and lots of yummy yummy food. Mmm. Was v impressed by the whole event and Karlsruhe was pretty nice too. All in all it was a v enjoyable day, apart from maybe the fifteen or so minutes when we thought we were going to miss the last train home. But all's well that ends well as they say.
Oh and then last week a guy from the British embassy in Berlin came to Fulda to talk about Britain's Presidency of the EU. V interesting, for me especially. Never really heard the government's stance on all the EU issues and he did a v good job of towing the party line. It was actually quite propagandaesque. Spoke to him a bit afterwards. He was of the opinion that Britain has a diff attitude to the EU than say France and Germany because they joined later: When the EU project started it was about building peace in Europe and by the time Britain joined this had been achieved. Britain joined for economic reasons only, hence the lack of 'Euro-feeling" in GB. He also said that he felt he had more in common with say an Australian or a South Afrtican than with a German or a French person. This kind of surprised me actually. Personally I disagree. Maybe it's a generational thing, I am from Generation E after all...

One last thing. Can someone please let me know what Hannah's blog address is? Want to know what she's up to...
Ta muchly.
Take care one and all xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that you spent the weekend in bed. It helps to have company though. I hope you are coming to Strasburg, and are up to all that involves.

Missed you this weekend in Köln, I climbed all the way up the Dom...a little disconcerting that it was such a skinny stair case.

I am going to work on getting a photo of the dirty elephant upstairs, who is is wearing roller skates tonight...perhaps that explains why the apple juice was gone so quickly and quietly. A rolling elephant is perhaps a bit quieter then a stomping one.

I tend to agree with you about the representative for the EU presidency...except I wouldn't have said propagandesque, I would have said a bit excusive, and perhaps nothing really new from what we already knew. Was worth it for the free wine and chocolate!

I have a few questions Loo....(hehe Loo)
What is generation E?
Why are you genration E?
Who am I?

Love Bec

Lu said...

Generation Europe: The generation of Europeans who have grown up travelling around Europe, doing school exchanges with other European countries etc. Basically, the first generation of people who feel more 'European' than say German or French...
Unfortunately, not sure Ozzies fit into this category (unless they grew up in Europe). Maybe you've got an equivalent like, hmm, Generation N or perhaps Generation H&A... ;-)

ps - I will be coming to Strasbourg, wouldn't miss it. pps - If u continue calling me Loo (it's Lu, I ain't no toilet) I'll be having strong words!

Anonymous said...

You called the other day but I was out.

The german for apple juice is apfelsaft. orange juice, if memory serves, is "apfelseinensaft" what's that about? There's your mystery.

If you say apfelsaft in a Welsh accent it sounds like "I feel soft".

I was in a meeting the other day led by a consultant from Sunderland. When he was talking about Sunderland he put up a slide that showed a cartoon picture of a young woman washing up in the foreground. In the background was a young child. In the manner of the old fairy liquid adverts the child was saying "Mummy, why are your hands so soft?". The Mum's reply was "because I'm twelve".
Not very PC.

Hope you find your juice!
BB

Anonymous said...

PS Was intrigued to hear that the elephant is now roller skating around the place. To quote a misquote from Erik (to throw another Swede into the works) "...very tricksy.."

Anonymous said...

Ok I have spent part of my degree in a European country, does that make me Generation E??????

Ok we have had these discussions about who is considered European and I am obviously not.... to quote Zoolander "who am I?"

I think therefore I am...but still...I am in perpetual confusion...I guess that's nothing new.