Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Plodding along

Thank you for the reaction to the 'cheese' post. It pleases me greatly that so many of you see it as the big issue that it clearly is. To put your minds at rest we have since invested in some mature gouda which bears a pleasing similarity to mature cheddar. We also paid a visit to Fulda's very own French Market and purchased some quality French cheese (hard stuff that was very tasty). Plus my fellow Brit in Fulda is homeward bound and has promised to buy me some wensleydale and Branston Pickle. All in all, things are looking up.

On to other, non-cheese news. We had a nice weekend, albeit (once again) far too short. Saturday morning was, as usual, spent wandering around the Gemüsemarkt (vegetable market) and stocking up our cupboards with fresh produce from the region. We also succumbed to the plant stall (which is becoming a bit of a bad habit of ours) and bought another plant for the flat. Green hands or not, we are loving our plants and, it would seem, our love is requited for not one of our 11 (and counting) plants has passed away yet. Needless to say, we are very proud parents :-)

On Sunday, after a jolly nice and long-overdue phone call to Bec in Oz, we took a trip to Frankfurt to meet up with two of my colleagues. We had a nice lunch in Sachsenhausen and then settled down in the nearby Irish with John Smith's in hand (a beer brewed a mere 20 mins away from my home in GB) to watch Liverpool take on Chelsea. A bit of a disappointing match, largely because it was fairly even and Chelsea won anyway but jolly nice to spend a Sunday with Vicki and Lottie. I was completely exhausted when we got back to Fulda (not til 9pm due to slow slow train) and not at all rejuvenated for another week at work.

Now I am at my desk, enjoying the fact that my inbox contains no emails "Zur Nachverfolgung" and taking some time out from the hectic life that is that of a KERN intern. The sun is shining outside and in just three days it will be the weekend again. Life is tiring at the moment (I blame the trains) but when I think about it, not that bad at all.

Love and hugs to all xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sleep

An ode to...

All you need is sleep, lalallalalalaaaa!

And the more you have, the time you think you waste, because you think you could be doing something more constructive, like....assembling coffee tables.

Lucy, i ask you...

Have you experienced the nodding off on the train phenomenom, where your heads seems to rock forward and your neck catches the weight? Or have you fought off this desire to try and stay awake on trains and just forfeited to the good of land of nodding off on trains? Have you surpassed this already, and worked out the best positions to actually sleep on the train?

I will give those still lagging behind who fight sleep while travelling by train to work/study (you see in my case I was alsways studying) by reading books, chatting idely, or avoiding eyecontact and listening very intently to their ipods?

The window seat is your friend (it may not look like a good pillow - but you would trade you high heal shoes for a brick as a pillow in this opposit twilight time of the morning), and so is the shoulder of your unsuspecting neighbour (use only in desperate times!!! hahaha)

The best technique to attack the person next you as a potential pillow is to do the head rocking to sleep movement, and then just after 5 times trying to look like you are fighting sleep, collapse on their shoulder. Be careful not to drewl. (heheehhe)

Wear pants or trousers because it is easier to spreadangle out and hog seats where polite people are too afraid to ask you to move due the really akward position you were able to get into, (this technique and position would be made impossible if you were in a skirt).

My finally suggesstion for a peaceful sleep on a train is to write on a piece of cardboard - only disturb for frankfurt or wake me at frankfurt and use your handbag as a pillow in the shoulder of your neighbour.

The main problem is not the sleeping part, it is the sore neck you get after waking up in such awkward positions and then concentrating at work, also staying awake at work or lecture thereafter, and then finally waking up at the correct station. This is where the cardboard comes in handy.

I hope this lesson helped.

Cheer up Lu, there is always an end to this predicament...its called retirement.

yeah I know what i just wrote was stupid, but sleeping on trains is an artform I like to practice and is also a great hobby of mine, along with postcards, os phonecalls. I think the bit I am addicted to is the bit where you wake up and think you miss you station. This panic gets your blood pumping and gets you energic for the long and tedious day ahead!

Enjoy!

Lu said...

Oh, what a question! You are talking to the Queen of Sleep here. Over the past 8 weeks I have got my train journeys down to a fine art. Should I be travelling with the 6.47 train, I almost always sleep the whole journey. Occasionally I read for 20 minutes, and then sleep for the following 35. With the 7.46, I tend to read for 30 minutes and then listen to music, gaze out of the window and ponder for the following 25. My route home generally follows a similar pattern, depending on the level of exertion required during the day. Sleep invariably plays a role, and you can relax, for I never experience any problems slipping into slumber. Sore necks occasionally occur, and I must admit, the head-nodding phenomenon is also familiar to me. Using my neighbour as a pillow is yet to be experienced...

So now you know!