Friday, August 04, 2006

Some Rather Upsetting News

Hmm. So I'm back in Fulda (after a fab time at home) and I have a problem... I AM OFFICIALLY HOMELESS :-(
It is indeed a sad sad situation and, after our experiences today, it is in fact getting more and more absurd. (Song ref, 10 points for 1st correct answer!) Our hunt for somewhere to live has been rather rollercoaster-esque. We have found several suitable flats but all have come with problems ranging from current tenants wanting over 700€ for their furniture, to today's extremely unfortunate incident which can be roughly summarised as follows: we find a great, reasonably cheap flat in the centre of town with balcony, we sign the lease and are just about to 'close the deal' when Mr Letting Agent gives us his bill for 500€. This fee covers the cost of him walking 200m from his office to the flat, spending 30mins of his day showing us the flat and talking about it and then printing out the lease and going through it with us. A bit steep ain't it? Well we thought so, so had to do a rather embarrassing RETREAT manoeuvre that now means we are back to square one. The only consolation is that we have now been here many times before, so at least we have some experience. There is lots of bad news that probably outweighs this consolation - namely that as we now know that letting agents seem to find it justifiable to charge a ridiculously inflated figure for their services, they can no longer be relied upon to help us in our quest to find a flat (2ZKB if anyone has any ideas or handy hints). And so, we must continue alone, using the internet and hoping that we stumble upon somewhere that (a) is free, (b) we can afford, (c) is in Fulda, (d) doesn't throw another spanner in the works.
In the meantime, I am crashing at Ragil's appartement, my worldly belongings are crashing in a friendly German's basement and the situation remains somewhat suboptimal. Welcome back to life in Fulda.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

oh lucy, you poor one...
That's what brokers are, I made a similar experience some years ago...
Thanks for your nice greetings - of course I'll eat some (or some more?) choc on your behalf :-)
Brussels is rainy and windy, at the moment a thunderbolt brewing, quite unfriendly weather to explore the unknown edges of the city...
But next week everything will be different when I will be finally busy again. I'm starving for that...
So, all the best for you, your internship (which organization by the way?) and your housing,
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a suitable flat, let us know how things go on...
cu :-)

ICEUS said...

I guess you are already checking out www.wg-gesucht.de and www.studenten-wg.de.
On the latter I found this:http://www.studenten-wg.de/post.php?postnr=2
Looks like something for you, doesn't it?
My problems of finding new shoes seem to be tiny against your quest for a new flat. :-)
Am spending my time doing nothing. I don't now yet if I find it good or bad.
Good luck!

-Marie-

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about flats in Fulda, I was rather lucky to be on the friendly part of a turbulent relationship with the international office. I know above Susi's place is free, and her room is aswell (she moved out and now is in a comparable situation, living wiht her boyfriend becuase she is also homeless), that was down town near Cinestar. However, I am unsure about furniture...I guess my next trick would be hard trach and to invest in a mattress.

My next question in my long winded email was...waht but you...and your internship when does that start and how is everything going?

Also there is an Australian (From my uni!!!)in Seda's old room or Beste's well in that apartment. Not sure if you met her, but she knows Heidi, and is having a wonderful time on the ISU.

It goes without saying that I am insane with jeoulousy.

(I realise I am no help with the apartment thing, I always got mine through word of mouth. Which doesn't help in your situation. Good luck and things will work out.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Lucy!

I wish you good luck in looking for a new place!

This month, i've rent my room to a franch girl. I mean if you need a room for a shor period of time before you find one. You can let me know. But of course i hope you will find a room asap before september.

I'll cross my finger for you!

Best wishes!

Chia-Lin

Anonymous said...

Obvious lesson to be learned here.Change life plan and become a Letting Agent!
Seriously, hope that everything works out quickly.
Oh - and make Ragil sleep on the floor, whilst you make yourself comfortable au lit. That's what boyfs are for...........
Love as ever
Auntie Fred xxxxxxx