Friday, March 31, 2006

I'm Not Materialistic But...

...new things have arrived to enhance my life :-) First there was my birthday. A day of relaxation, followed by a night of fun fun fun. Yep, it was lovely to wake up and have lots of cards to open (thanks to everyone) and some presents too (thanks again!) It was a normal day really, spent doing very little, but me and Ragil did grace Cafe Ideal (my favourite Fulda haunt) with our presence in the afternoon. Then it was time to don our gladrags before heading out for one of the nicest meals I think I've ever had. Thanks Mama for covering the bill and Ragil for your delightful company :D After we had drunk a few glasses of rather good wine and stuffed ourselves silly we headed to a bar (the name of which I still don't know for sure) and met friends for a somewhat less sophisticated (but very fun) time. At first the bar was full, but our hoard soon scared most people off and before we knew it, we had the bar to ourselves. Pressies from friends, gemütliches Zusammensein, a ridiculous mixing of drinks (Prosecco and wine at meal, martini, beer, whisky and cocktails at the bar) and a jolly good time. The night ended with a visit to Zum Löwen and us strutting our stuff on the makeshift dancefloor (small area ohne tables and chairs). The next day my birthday was a distant memory and my head was sore...

So that was exciting. I am now 23 - older and definitely wiser. Ha, or maybe not.

Birthdays are definitely cause for excitement, but my excitement was by no means over. Just 4 days after mon anniversaire (see New Year's Resolution!) more joy occured. It was a day of new stuff. Firstly a German tradition needs to be explained, namely Sperrmüll day. On this day, Germans put all stuff that they no longer want on the street outside their houses. Fellow Germans are then invited to shift through the unwanted items and grab anything that takes their fancy (before the next person does). The remaining stuff is then taken away two days later. Anyway, since moving into my new place I have noticed a 'coffee table space' distinctly lacking a coffee table. Sperrmüll day seemed the perfect opportunity to get me one of those. Unfortunately I was either too slow, or no-one wanted rid of one decent enough for my room. No matter, I was determined to acquire a coffee table and so I thought I'd create my own. A few pieces of wood, a drill, some screws and a handy boyfriend later and I had the coffee table of my dreams. (see attached photos if you don't believe me!) As if gaining a brand new, original coffee table is not enough excitement for one day, shortly afterwards iBee's successor arrived. pBee is here and she is beautifully metallic and, perhaps more importantly, fully functional. Wohey! All is well in the world :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the coffee table is tops! If I may say so, here are some of its great advantages...

No one has one like it.

It has rustic marks and dents on it...adding sufficient character and charm.

It is at the great height where if you were wlking around in the dark it will leave a nice purple and blue dent in one's shin. Making a person yell and curse with enough volume to wake up the entire house.

So be careful with walking in the dark in Lucy's room, there is a killer coffee table.

I guess this is a good deterrant for the apple juice thief. "Watch out Lucy's coffee table will get you" sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm also pleased about the coffee table scenario. But more intrigued to discover where a gal finds a handy boyfriend. A very rare commodity, believe you me.(So speaks the women who taught her husband how to bricklay...)
Enough of that. Will rapidly move on to comment on the post- anniversaire mal a tete. Thought that you had decided to give up on such alcoholic revelry, when you entered your recent philosophical phase!
Anyway keep enjoying life.
Glad to see that Bec is still giving thought to the Apple Juice Thief. It will keep her from pining for the long-departed Elephant from Upstairs..
Love you loads Lu
xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Pining?? Who's pining? I have moved on....onto bigger and better things...."I don't belieeeeve it!"


Oh who am I kidding...I'm pining.

But nothing a good game of football* or cricket** can't fix!


*football = soccer for all the Aussies and Americans reading this.

**cricket = cricket for all non colony peoples, is a game not to be confused with baseball**** or croquet,*** and nothing really compares to it! According to Douglas Adams,***** was invented by the British in unbelievable bad taste, reminiscent of the galactical warfare tactics of a far away planet where the people never looked up at the sky until a space ship crashed onto their planet, with the use of wickets and bowling.

croquet*** = perhaps the worst backyard sport ever invented

Baseball**** = errmmmm? 4 bases, a bater, a pitcher and a catcher, too many innings.

Douglas Adams***** = author of Hitchhikers Guide to the Gaslaxy. The book, much better then the movie, a trilogy in 5 parts. Famous for the meaning of life and everything = 42 and so long and thanks for all the fish.

Firdavs said...

Lucychen, please dont feel insulted, but the life is so cruel...:-) well actually the problem was that right in the moment i was trying to put a link to your blog, my internet went off, and then i did not have any connection for 8 days, and then of course, as long as you know me, i forgot it.
i will link you to my blog, for sure.
bussi bussi,

Firdavs