Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The flat has been infiltrated

I am in shock.
This morning I experienced a, what can only be described as nightmarish, tete a tete with a mouse (or was it a rat), in OUR APARTMENT of all places. I am still shaking from the trauma.

I opened one of our kitchen cupboards and the little bugger was staring right back at me. The worst thing is, it didn't even seem scared. My fear on the other hand was quite obvious - I slammed the cupboard door let out a high-pitched "why must this happen to me?" kind of scream. Then I performed an all-over body shake, much like dogs do when they get out of water, to rid myself of any germs that might have jumped the two metres from the rodent to myself.

Too scared to be in the apartment now in case the little beast finds a way to break out of the cupboard and follow me around. Am currently taking refuge in the library, waiting for Ragil to get back from work so he can be all manly and remove the verminous creature. And if he can't manage that, to at least give me a calming 'it'll be alright' hug.

When I do get the courage to step back into my own home, I will be faced with the dilemma of dealing with the issue at hand (rather than just running away from it, which, it must be said, I am currently quite content to do):
Do we try and despose of it?
Do we just try and scare it away?
Or, do we adopt it as our pet? (thanks go to Chryssa for this storming suggestion. Of course, in my post-horrific-experience state it went down like a lead balloon. How about we package it up and give it to you as a pet?! Mwa ha ha)
Each of these options has its problems.
Killing it would make us mouse/rat (does anyone know the different between the two anyway?) murderers and would involve us purchasing evil, deathly substances, and, a lot more importantly, we would then have to deal with the mouse/rat corpse, which, quite frankly, isn't really my cup of tea.
I fear my initial reaction to seeing the beast has already seriously reduced our chances of scaring it away - I was the one that freaked out, it just sat there and nonchalantly returned my glare.
Adopting it as a pet would get over the problems of having to kill it, deal with its corpse and making it more scared of us than we are of it, but, we would then have a mouse/rat as a pet. My childhood experience with stick insects taught me a very important lesson that I am reminded of today - never keep pets that you are scared of.

I shall keep you informed of the situation as it develops.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lu,

Just buy a humane trap and chuck it out in a field somewhere - and stop being such a girl!!

Well done with grad

Paul x

Lu said...

But I am a girl :P
Like the humane trap idea, will research that one.
Having fun with D'Dyl? I am so excited about meeting the big pawed pup :)
See you next month xx

Anonymous said...

Back at work this week :-( Dyl is ruling the roost in Snainton!

Back at home this weekend to buy a rubbish ford - it's bye bye Subaru... x

Lu said...

you're replacing ur a bus with a ford? but that doesn't spell anything backwards :(

Anonymous said...

At least it's only mouse/rat size - remember The Elephant in the Flat Upstairs? Now that truly would give you nightmares of stupendous proportions..........
Does it like apple juice, by any chance?!
See you soon
Love Auntie Fred xxxxx