Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Counting down

Not long to go now. Only two more full days before the off. Jobs are starting to get done: a money belt has been purchased, travel insurance arranged, clothes neatly piled and a humongous pile of ironing has been tackled and reduced. Indonesia here we come...

It still feels like there's lots to be done: an oral tomorrow, a job application to send off, irritating admin to be done at uni and a decision on the Master thesis to be taken. But, bla, that stuff just doesn't seem very important right now, we're going to INDONESIA!!! I have never been to Asia before. The furthest East I have ever been is Poland and I presume it will be quite different to Krakow.

I am starting to panic about important things like how you say "pleased to meet you" in Indonesian, which, incidentally, I have forgotten again. Sanang bertamu dengan anda. Ah, that's it. Just rolls of the tongue, doesn't it?! Also slightly worried about the old banjir - that's flooding to me and you (not including Ragil :P). Apparently the waters have been receding but it is still chucking it down and where the waters have gone, mud and rubbish remains. Our excellent timing thus means Jakarta will be a lot smellier and dirtier than usual, plus there will be more rats and disease issues. In case Mum wasn't worried enough... On to a happier note though, I can still say "not spicy please" and "I'm ill" and even "help" and I described my dream to Ragil in Indonesian this morning, albeit pigeon Indonesian or Engonesian (as my language for the next month shall now be known.)

So, that's how things are looking right now. Onto an unrelated topic: photologgery seems to be going down well. I have been updating it fairly recently so if you haven't returned for a while, check it out. Am hoping to take some good pics of Indonesia's magnificent scenery and those will be posted as soon as we return (March 17th). And, before I go, here's a picture I took today whilst I was playing and Ragil was cooking ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MOST IMPORTANT....
Big Bad Dave needs to know if they have pies in Indonesia? You know - the Wigan-type pies..
He's getting very stressed about how you are going to survive this particular hollier if the draft beer is in short supply, and you can't keep your strength up without pies.
See?
These are problems that your mother hasn't given a thought to. And she thought that she'd covered every single worry on the planet......


Anyway, have a wonderful time and keep very safe, because we all love you loads.
xxxxx

ICEUS said...

Hey Ho!

I wish you lots of fun and tons of interesting new impressions in Indonesia! Eat some Bami Goreng for me or - even better - maybe you can bring me some in a kind of take away box?!
-Marie-

P.S.: Why can we see the pics only when you come back? No Internet in Indonesia? Hard to believe... I WANT THEM NOW!!! (Or at least two minutes after they've been taken. ;-)

playingdrama said...

no internet in Indonesia?? that is so true Marie! ;P
I presume you have to wait at least a month before we can upload those gorgeous photos to the photologgery.. hehehe..

Bakmi Goreng? no worries, I'll send it via UPS while we are there eating it.. =P

Lu said...

Pies? Now that is an issue I have neglected to consider. Hmm. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Needless to say, I will do my best to search out Indonesia's pie supply.
Bami goreng should be easier to come by. Let us know your new address in Chile, Marie, and we will see what we can do!

Anonymous said...

Pies? Of all things to worry about. Ohhh then again, we could worry about mushy peas.

Hehehe