Monday, January 09, 2006

Normality just packed its bags...

The presentation didn't go well. In fact, it didn't go at all. I spent my first hour awake mentally psyching myself up to prepare for the presentation of my paper. When I was nearing the end of the psyching up process I was rudely interrupted by my flatmate Matthias (of 'assistant to toilet-dismantler' fame), who requested a look at my Mietvertrag (rent contract? can't think of correct translation). He then pointed out that it finished on the 31st March (news to me, I thought it ended on the 1st March) and went on to suggest that he would probably be moving out at the end of the semester and that I could therefore have his room. His room is about 3 times the size of mine and sun-facing, therefore several degrees warmer and pleasanter. This news took me rather by surprise. I have recently been doing some research into flats and almost set my mind on moving into a large room complete with balcony, sofa and armchair in Chryssa's flat. Only moments before Matthias' interruption, I had infact read an email from the International Office regarding this room in Chryssa's flat saying that I could have it from 1st February.
The dilemma is as follows: rely on Matthias moving out, take his unfurnished room, pay €10 more per month but save having to pay 2 rents in Feb and/or March OR agree to move into Chryssa's flat with her and 2 other new inhabitants (could be anyone...), where the rent will be about the same, there is more than adequate furnishings and a friend, but where I will have to pay 2 rents for at least 1 month (and maybe 2). The flat I am living in at the moment is more aesthetically pleasing with a nicer kitchen and nicer bathroom, plus a larger hallway. The locations are pretty similar. My relationship with my current flatmate could be described as cordial but probs nothing more and although I have exchanged a few emails with the girl whose room I am currently occupying, she will be as unknown as the 2 others who move into Chryssa's.
This dilemma has been troubling me all day. Any suggestions, thoughts, solutions would be most welcome...

By the time it came to me leaving my flat, my head was rather all over the place. I then walked outside to find my gorgeous pink beauty of a bike had disappeared. I cursed for a wee while and then accepted it had been nicked. I was in a rather distraught but equally bemused state due the bizarreness of my day thus far (it was only 10.40am by this point) when I received a phonecall from Chryssa saying class had been cancelled and that we therefore didn't have to do our presentation until next week. Unsure whether to be overjoyed or very cross, or infact, what to do with myself in general, I continued walking in the direction of the uni. I soon decided to head to Ragil's place to tell him all about my quite remarkable morning. By the time I arrived I had decided that I was indeed annoyed at the Professor's mysterious absence. I had gone to the trouble of psyching myself up and was as ready as I was ever going to be to do the presentation and now the misery had been prolonged for another 7 days. Anyway, I walked through the building and out the back door. I was about to turn left to go down the stairs to Ragil's apartment, when what should I see infront of me but the magnificent pink of Augusta, chilling in the bikeshed of Blücherstasse 18. A wry smile was all I could manage. She hadn't been stolen after all, just borrowed and moved by Ragil.

The excitement and eventfulness of the first part of my day has meant that the remainder has been dictated by sheer emotional exhaustion. I am pleased to know that Augusta still remains in my possession, I am frustrated that I have still not done my presentation and I am confused about my future living arrangements. On top of this, I have excitement about rapidly approaching 5 week holiday (which now includes cheeky weekend in Geneva and 2.5wks in Britain) coupled with stress about 2 presentations and unknown quantity of exams that need to be dealt with before this holiday commences, plus several random and extremely pointless homeworks that need to be completed in the near future.

Yes, emotional exhaustion is my current state. Sitting in bed, writing this, I am struck by the thought that there is only one way to end this blog; with a picture that I am hereby naming 'exhaustion'

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Augusta stolen! I would have been mad...ok I realise she is ok, perhaps it was her personal revenge for being left out and covered in snow for about a week before Christmas.

Watch out for pink bikes, they are manipulative. As for the break...since when are you going to Geneva? Lucky you.

Chryssa and I also had a look at booking the camera for tomorrows expriment. We will have to pick it up at 11.

Ok Cheerio.

Anonymous said...

Also much relieved about Augusta. And being found in all her glory, as well! What was Ragil doing borrowing a PINK bise-keyhole, for heavens sake??! He's a boy...........
As for accomodation dilemma, can't really help. Will leave it to your Mum to sort out from long-distance. Only advice I can offer, is take the easier and cheaper option every time.
Ruth safely back from Sweden, where she was keeping an eye out for undercover elephants etc etc
Bye for now.

Anonymous said...

Ok, here is what is going on...elephant moving to Canada, and therefore, there is no need to worry about any red-painted-toed elephants on rollerskates around England. Canada has to watch out.

But that does mean the Commonwealth continues to be tormented by the above mentioned animal. First Australia, then Great Britain, now Canada. Where to next???

Also, feeling better after yesterday. No worries there, spoke to my Mum and she laughed so hard. It's pretty funny when you think about it. What a strange drama to be involved in....

My event of today consisted of doinghomework, gettign the above gossip and changing my light bulb with a potate...yes I did say a potato.

Anonymous said...

PS...missed you at the FH party..was not the same without you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

As for Bec changing the light bulb with a potato. Does it shine as brightly as a light bulb? Is it cheaper on the old electricity bill? Does it smell strange when said potato gets hot???

Anonymous said...

Aunty Fred, I have had success in conjuring a photo of the Elephant!! It as hard work but I have succeeded. What this space...

On another note, Lucy had an awesome time with you at my party. And like after every party, our apartment is now even cleaner then beoire we moved in. The floor is sparkling! We took a photo, and we can see a refelection of the window on the laminate! We got 12€ in pfund! I think thats more then last time. And that is without the pfund cases! Only bottles. We had fun smashing the wine bottles into the recycling bin aswell. It was very de-stressing!

Ok I am off to bed again, my head hurts!

Anonymous said...

Is that a new belt? Where is the pink one?

Lu said...

The picture (and the belt) dates back to Bamberg. I still have the belt somewhere but it has been relegated down the belt ranks... Incidentally, the photo was taken after a mildly intoxicated press-up competition in our local in Bammers. Being under the affluence of incohol meant that I overestimated my body's strength somewhat and overdid it a small amount, leading to legs-in-air exhaustion and inability to move and prevent photo being taken...