Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Frosch im Loch


Being the kind of person who likes to try and please everyone, I have done my utmost to satisfy the photo requests. To the left you can see a photo of myself with my rather sexy bike, Augusta, and, low and behold, I am holding my homework diary, thus 'studying' :-) Hope that keeps you happy My! And I hope you all approve of my new set of wheels. I like to think that where she is lacking in functionability (lack of lights, bizarre clunking noises etc. etc.) she makes up for in style.

So it is autumn here in Fulda (and probs everywhere else actually come to think about it) and the trees are all looking stunning. For those of you who don't know, my flat is located v near to the Schlossgarten (palace gardens). Yesterday me and Bec went for a walk through the park and took a few pics. (Note the self-portrait Ruth!) Yep, Fulda is looking gorge at the mo, shame it's a sign of the impending winter. Brr, feeling cold just thinking about it. Have started preparing myself for the cold temperatures though and have invested in some highly impractical shoes that are highly unsuitable for the winter months, apart from the fact that they have sheepskin fur inside them. Excellent :-)



To the title of this post. Some of you may be wondering what crazy words I have chosen this time. Well, they literally translate as 'frog in the hole'. Can you tell what it is yet? (Rolf Harris stylee) Last night was Desperate Housewives Night. Basically a group of girls of various nationalities (we had German, Brit, Aussie, French, Swedish, Vietnamese and Belarussian last night) meet up, eat food from one of the represented countries, drink red wine, watch Desperate Housewives (overdubbed in German, grrr) and have a girly night in. Last night was my turn to cook. Me and Bec created what can only be described as a meal fit for kings (or queens perhaps). Two big toad in the holes, one giant veggie yorkshire pudding, mashed potato and swede, peas and gravy (made from Bisto's finest gravy granules). I have noticed some rather unfair stereotypes about British culinery delights, namely that all foreigners think our food is tasteless rubbish. Anyway, I saw this as my opportunity to prove everyone wrong. The pressure was high but I am pleased to announce I did not crack. The meal was a roaring success, the shock on everyone's face at tasting 'yummy' British food was priceless :-) And I got to eat yorkshire pud. Mmm mmm. Everyone was happy. The wine was good too. My 8am Europarecht (European Law) lecture wasn't...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to spoil the fun Tortois, it is Spring in the southern hemisphere. I am sorry I pretty much passed out last nice, the food was sooooo good that my body could only function on digesting the food, and perhaps not the red wine, and that funky whiskey red wine thing. Ok and don't forget the fabulous salads we created for the veges.

Anonymous said...

Ps, thanks for telling me how to spell spontenious. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Auntie Fred said..............Don't know Bec (yet) but so glad that she can now spell 'spontenious'!
Lucy - hope that I am doing this right, and that you receive it, 'cos I want to say that you are following a Smallshaw tradition in possesing a pink bike. Ruth had one - called Debbie!
Also very relieved that you are still buying highly impractical shoes........although fur lined has to be a bonus! Any other fashion statements to make, in time for winter?

Anonymous said...

PS Please can someone tell me how to get my comments in 'comments sectio' rather than in 'links section'? Or is it because I don't have a Blogger account?
Help needed ...........
A. Fred

Lu said...

Am pleased to be following a family tradition in possessing Augusta. From the moment I saw her I knew she was the one for me. You just can't beat a bright pink bike :-)
A quick note to Auntie Fred. Think you have done a grand job in leaving comments so far. Small tip tho: If you don't want to have to write "Auntie Fred said..." then choose your identity as other rather than anonymous.
Oh and I'll let you know if I come across any other essential winter items. I think the best way to shop though is to just be spontaneous :-) (He he)

Anonymous said...

you are not following my tradtion - pink bike - girly nights in ! I know liverpool are having problems but come on Lu!!!
Myraxx

vy said...

hi!
i got here through ragil's.

nice blog.
this post, i really like this part: have invested in some highly impractical shoes that are highly unsuitable for the winter months, apart from the fact that they have sheepskin fur inside them. ^_____^

i've always wondered every year, if i should get a pair of those... but karlsruhe is much warmer than fulda in winter, so i guess i don't really need them. especially now that i know how 'impractical' and 'unsuitable' they really are. ^_^

vy said...

btw,
the last pic is really good. where did you take it?

Lu said...

Hey Elvy,

Ta for checking out my blog. Kinda cool how these things link people together... The pic was taken in the Schlossgarten in Fulda - v picturesque with all the autumnal shades at the mo, although the leaves are disappearing fast.
Oh and as to the shoes, I say buy them anyway. Don't need cold weather as a justification :-)